Available Dates: *
- FEBRUARY 18-20, 2022 Fri – Sun Sold Out
- MARCH 18-20. 2022 Fri – Sun Sold Out
- APRIL 8-10, 2022 Fri – Sun Sold Out
- APRIL 22-24, 2022 Fri – Sun Sold Out
- MAY 4-6, 2022 wed – Fri Sold Out
- MAY 13-15, 2022 Fri – Sun Sold Out
- JUNE 10-12, 2022 Fri Sun Sold Out
- JUNE 27-29, Mon – Wed 2022 Sold Out
- JULY 15-17, 2022 Fri – Sun Sold Out
- AUGUST 12-14, 2022 Fri – Sun Sold Out
- AUGUST 22-24, 2022 Mon – Wed Sold Out
- SEPTEMBER 9-11, 2022 Fri – Sun Sold Out
- OCTOBER 14-16, 2022 Fri – Sun Sold Out
- NOVEMBER 11-13, 2022 Fri – Sun Sold Out
- JANUARY 9-11, 2023 Mon – Wed Sold Out
- FEBRUARY 3-5, 2023 Fri – Sun Sold Out
- MARCH 1-3, 2023 Wed – Fri Sold Out
- MARCH 27-29, 2023 Mon – Wed Sold Out
- APRIL 21-23, 2023 Fri – Sun Sold Out
- MAY 15-17, 2023 Mon – Wed Sold Out
- JUNE 9-11, 2023 Fri – Sun Sold Out
- JUNE 26-28, 2023 Mon – Wed Sold Out
- JULY 28-30, 2023 Fri – Sun Sold Out
- AUGUST 21-23, 2023 Mon – Wed Sold Out
- SEPTEMBER 8-10, 2023 Fri – Sun Sold Out
- OCTOBER 16-18, 2023 Mon – Wed Sold Out
- NOVEMBER 17-19, 2023 Fri – Sun Sold Out
- If your preferred dates are sold out, you may still make your reservation using the “Get on the Waiting List” option in the shopping cart. Cancellations are not unusual. You will be notified when new dates are added, or cancellations happen. It requires full payment to get on the waiting list.
Beginner Level Workshops (Retreats)
If you want to save some time, just skip this description and go directly to the reviews tab at the top of this page. I don’t think I can add anything to what my students have to say. We’ve never had less than a 5 star review.
Many people think they have no “talent” or are not “gifted”. This is wrong. You are gifted… you are created that way! You just need somebody to show you where those gifts are hiding. You will be THRILLED with the project you take home with you and will be fully armed with the knowledge of how to continue (should you decide to do so). That is my promise to you…
I realize that this looks difficult to do. It isn’t. It’s actually MUCH simpler than it looks. I’ve taught thousands of beginners using my method of a series of 6 individual steps, which when followed sequentially produce striking results. Every time. I’ve never had a student who wasn’t blown away with their project, the very first time. Ever.
My teaching method involves both hand and power tools. Both have their place. We will walk through the steps together, one at a time. It doesn’t matter if I am carving a large Disney project or a small sign… I use the same 6-step method EVERY TIME.
It’ll trip you out! You won’t believe what will come out of your hands at the end of the weekend!
Make it a vacation!
These retreats are hosted in my studio in Northern California (Grass Valley) nestled in the heart of California’s Sierra Mountain foothills.
Historic Grass Valley and nearby Nevada City are amoung the most interesting of the 1849 California Gold Rush towns, attracting visitors from far and wide. Both towns are national historic landmarks, and there is much to see and do while visiting. Beautiful Lake Tahoe is about a 90 minute drive and San Francisco is about 2.5 hours away.
Sacramento, California is the nearest international airport and is about 75 minutes from Grass Valley.
Many students opt for the Airbnb option for lodging. It’s flexible and inexpensive. There are also several hotels and private cottages to choose from nearby. We are happy to help you find lodging which works for you.
Snacks and beverages are provided.
When does this happen?
We schedule these retreats so that you can plan in advance. They typically sell out quickly after we publicly announce the dates, and availability can change quickly (but this website is updated as things change).
Some of these retreats are hosted on Friday thru Sunday. Others are hosted on weekdays, but those dates are always bumped up against a weekend to make travel simpler.
The first day of the retreat begins at 3PM here in my studio. We will go as late as it takes to get our projects ready for the next day, usually about 5 hours.
The second day begins at 9AM and will continue as late as needed to prepare your project for the next day. Saturday is an intensive day and typically lasts 8 to 10 hours or so. You will be tired but satisfied at the end of the second day!
The third day begins at 9AM and will continue as long as needed to complete your project. Typically 3 to 4 hours. The remainder of the third day will be open for travel or sightseeing.
Our nearest airport is Sacramento, CA and is about 90 minutes from here. There is shuttle service available but a rental car will probably work best.
Okay, Sounds great…. but what’s it cost?
Carving is a Zen exercise for sure… but it does require a certain amount of physical endurance as well. Please assess your own personal health for any health limitations to be sure you are in good shape for this!
Each workshop (retreat) is limited to six students. The cost is $1,650 per person for all three days. For this price, you will go home with a custom made sign and 3 days of fun!
All payments are non-refundable but may be used as credit in the event of unforseen circumstances which require you to reschedule.
Accommodations are not included but there are tons of nearby options, as mentioned above!
All tools and materials will be provided. Just. bring yourself and any personal favorite tool you wish, if you have some.
If this is a gift for a loved one, we are happy to provide a beautiful customized gift certificate. For this, contact me directly.
Check my page to see what my beginning students are doing… it’ll blow your mind!
Thank you. Looking forward to seeing you at a retreat!